Yenikoy is a village in the Alexandropol uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Aghin (Ani) district, and currently in the Shirak province. The provincial centre is located 7 km to the southwest of the town of Gumru, on the west bank of the Arpachay and at a height of 1450 m above sea level.

Until 1897 the village had been inhabited by Azerbaijanis. The same year 285 Armenians were resettled in the village and the Azerbaijanis were ousted. Only three Azerbaijanis stayed in the village.

The toponym was coined by combining the word “yeni” meaning “new” and “koy” meaning “a village” in Turkic. The village was initially renamed “Kharkov”, then by the decree of the President of the Republic of Armenia dated 4 July 2006, it was changed to “Norshen”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative territory of the Shirak province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude 40°31’N., longitude 43°36’E.