Jil is a village in the Novo-Bayazid uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Chambarak (Krasnoselsk) district, and currently in the Gegharkunik province. The provincial centre lies 82 km to the northeast of the town of Kavar (Gavar), on the shore of Lake Goycha and at a height of 2,040 m above sea level. It was marked on the five-verst map of the Caucasus. The Turkish historian Fahrettin Kirzioghlu mentions it as “Jilkandi”. It had been within the former district of Basarkechar until the district of Chambarak was established. The historical sources ascribe the village to the 12th century.

The village was solely inhabited by Azerbaijanis – 265 in 1831, 287 in 1873, 587 in 1886, 736 in 1897, 975 in 1904, 1,035 in 1914, 893 in 1916 and 888 Azerbaijanis in 1919. In spring 1919 the inhabitants of the village were driven out having been exposed to the aggression of Armenian armed units. They managed to return to their native land after Soviet power had been established in the present-day Armenian territory. The village was inhabited by 697 Azerbaijanis in 1922, 824 in 1926, 1,041 in 1931, 1,226 in 1939, 1,170 in 1959, 1,606 in 1970 and 1,519 Azerbaijanis in 1979. In November-December 1988 the inhabitants of the village were deported by the state of Armenia. At present, Armenians live there.

The toponym was coined on the basis of the word “jil” used in Azerbaijani in the sense of “a kind of broom-like grass covering the ground”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Gegharkunik province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude: 40°27′ N., longitude: 45°27′ E.