Gushchu was a village in the territory of the Echmiadzin uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Abaran district, and present-day Aragatsotn province. The village was noted as “Gushchu mazrasi” in “The Iravan Province Comprehensive Data Book” dated 1590 and marked as “Gushi” on the five-verst map of the Caucasus. The name of the village is not encountered in any source after 1931. The village was abolished in 1940. At present, it lies in ruins.
The toponym was coined by adding the suffix “-chu” to the name of the Gushchu tribe of the Huns.