Ashaghi Zaghali

Ashaghi Zaghali is a village in the Novo-Bayazid uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Basarkechar (Vardenis) district, and currently in the Gegharkunik province. The provincial centre lies 64 km to the southeast of the town of Kavar (Gavar), by the southeastern shore of Lake Goycha, and at a height of 1,920 m above sea level. It was marked on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

The Armenians were removed from Türkiye and Iran and settled in the village of Ashaghi Zaghali in 1829-1830. Along with the Armenians, the village was inhabited also by Azerbaijanis.

The toponym was coined by adding the suffix “-lı” to the word “zagha” [zağa] used in Azerbaijani in the meaning of “a cave”, “a den”. As the village was founded in the mountainous area, where there were dens, it was called “Zaghali”. “Ashaghi” is a word denoting a distinguishing feature.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 12 December 1946, the village was renamed “Tsovak”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Gegharkunik province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude: 40°10′ N., longitude: 45°38′ E.