Ashaghi Aghbash

Ashaghi Aghbash is a village in the Iravan uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Gamarli (Artashat) district, and currently in the Ararat province. The provincial centre lies 12 km to the northeast of the town of Gamarli, at the foot of the mountain of Chatmadagh. It was marked on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

The indigenous people of the village were Azerbaijanis. The Armenians were removed to the village from the Salmas and Khoy regions of Iran in 1828. Along with the Armenians, the village was inhabited by 11 Azerbaijanis in 1897, two Azerbaijanis in 1926.

The toponym was coined on the basis of the Turkic ethnonym “Aghbash”. The word “ashaghi” (lower) denotes a distinguishing feature.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 20 August 1945, the village was renamed “Arevshat”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Ararat province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude: 40°02’ N., longitude: 44°32’ E.