Yukhari Garkhin

Yukhari Garkhin is a village in the Echmiadzin uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Uchkilsa (Echmiadzin, Vagharshapat) district, and currently in the Armavir province. The provincial centre is located 37 km to the southeast of the town of Serdarabad (Armavir), on the left bank of the Araz River and at a height of 835 m above sea level. The village was marked on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

The village was solely inhabited by Azerbaijanis: 885 in 1831, 967 in 1873, 991 in 1886, 1,186 in 1897, 1,153 in 1904, 1,304 in 1914, 893 in 1916 and 1,153 Azerbaijanis in January 1918. In the late February-early March of 1918, the village was exposed to the attack of Armenian armed units and the inhabitants were deported from their historical and ethnic territories. In 1918–1920 the Armenians and Yezidis removed from the Surmeli province of Türkiye were settled in the village. At present, the village is inhabited by Armenians.

The toponym was coined by combining the word “yukhari” denoting a distinctive feature in Azerbaijani and the Turkic ethnonym “Garkhin” (referred to also as “Gargin” or “Karkin” in sources) of the Oghuz.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 4 April 1946, the village was renamed “Jrarat”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative territory of the Armavir province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude 40°44’ N., longitude 44°05’E.