Yengija was a village in the territory of the Sharur-Daralayaz uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Keshishkend (Yeghegnadzor) district, and present-day Vayots Dzor province. The village was located 22 km to the south of the provincial centre, 3-4 km to the northeast of the village of Gnishik and near Dashkhach Mountain. The name of the village has been referred to since the 13th century when it was stated that it existed back in the 8th-9th centuries. The village was noted as “Yenija” in “The Iravan Province Review Book” and marked as “Yengija” on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

The village was inhabited only by 422 Azerbaijanis in 1897. The Armenians removed from the Khoy and Salmas Counties of Iran and the Van and Alashkert provinces of Türkiye were settled in the village in 1829–1830. Following all that, the Azerbaijanis left the village. The Armenians were removed to the villages of Chiva and Aynazor in 1969–1970 and the village was abolished. At present, it lies in ruins.