Ulashik was a village in the territory of the Novo-Bayazid uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Akhta (Hrazdan) district, and present-day Kotayk province. The village was located 18 km to the northwest of the settlement of Akhta, on the left reach of the Miskhana River, at the foot of Maymag Mountain and near the village of Takali. The village was marked on the five-verst map of the Caucasus. The village was mentioned as “Ulashik” in Armenian sources which state that the ancient or other name for the village was “Ulyasheikh”.

The village was inhabited by 66 Azerbaijanis in 1831, 225 in 1873, 313 in 1886, 337 in 1897, 425 in 1908, 733 in 1914 and 385 Azerbaijanis in 1916. The Azerbaijanis were attacked, massacred or expelled from the village by Armenian armed formations in 1918. Only after the establishment of Soviet power in present-day Armenia, the Azerbaijanis who survived managed to return to their own village. The village was inhabited by 121 Azerbaijanis in 1922, 209 in 1926 and 302 Azerbaijanis in 1931. In accordance with the decision of the USSR Council of Ministers “On the resettlement of collective farmers and other Azerbaijani population from the Armenian SSR in the Kur-Araz lowland of the Azerbaijan SSR” dated 23 December 1947, the Azerbaijani population of the village was forcibly deported to Azerbaijan and the village was abolished in 1950. At present, the village lies in ruins.

The toponym was coined by adding the plural-forming ending “-ik” to the tribal name “Ulash”.