Tezekend is a village in the Aghbaba area of the Kars uezd of the former Kars province, later in the Alexandropol uezd, in the former Gizil Goch (Ghukasyan) district, and currently in the Shirak province. The provincial centre lies 44 km to the north of the town of Gumru, at a height of 2,050 m above sea level. Another name for the village was “Turkish Tezekend”. It was marked on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

The village was inhabited by 129 Azerbaijanis in 1886, 166 in 1897, 40 in 1908 and 193 Azerbaijanis in 1914. In the works of Armenian authors, the population of the village is indicated as the Garapapags, an ethnic group of Azerbaijanis. In May 1918 the Armenian armed groups led by Andranik committed genocide in the village of Tezekend. Only some people were able to escape. In 1920 the Armenian families from Türkiye were settled in the village. Currently, only Armenians live there.

The toponym was coined from the words “teze” (new) and “kend” (a village).

Initially, the  village renamed “Tezegyugh”, and by the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 21 October 1967, it was renamed “Tavshut”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Shirak province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude 40°05’ N., longitude 43°48’ E.