Satanaghaj is a village in the Novo-Bayazid uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Basarkechar (Vardenis) district, and currently in the Gegharkunik province. The provincial centre lies 100 km to the east of the town of Kavar (Gavar), on the eastern shore of Lake Goycha, at a height of 2000 m above sea level. The village is also called “Satanakhach”. Another name for the village was “Haji Garib”.

The village was inhabited only by Azerbaijanis: 132 in 1873, 214 in 1886, 299 in 1897, 343 in 1908, 659 in 1914, 430 in 1916 and 360 Azerbaijanis in 1919. In April 1919 the Azerbaijanis were massacred or deported having been exposed to the aggression of Armenian armed units. After the establishment of Soviet power in the territory of present-day Armenia, the surviving Azerbaijanis were able to return to their ancestral lands.The village was inhabited only by Azerbaijanis: 300 in 1922, 327 in 1926, 411 in 1931, 481 in 1939, 562 in 1959, 1,223 in 1979, 1,890 Azerbaijanis in 1987. In late November and early December 1988 the native residents of the village, the Azerbaijanis, were deported from their historical-ethnic territories by the state of Armenia. At present, only Armenians live there.

The toponym was coined by adding the word “aghaj” (used in the sense of “beam, board”) to the word “sadan”, used in the sense of “a fence” in Turkic.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 3 January 1935, it was renamed “Guney” and by the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 3 April 1991, it was renamed “Areguni”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Gegharkunik province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude40°20’ N ., longitude45°36’ E.