Sariyagub is a village in the Novo-Bayazid uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Basarkechar (Vardenis) district, and currently in the Gegharkunik province. The provincial centre lies 83 km to the northeast of the town of Kavar (Gavar), near the Mazra River, at a height of 2100 m above sea level. It was marked on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

The village was inhabited by 294 Azerbaijanis in 1873, 416 in 1886, 436 in 1897, 385 in 1908, 675 in 1914 and 651 Azerbaijanis in 1916. In April 1919 the Azerbaijanis were expelled from the village or massacred by Armenian armed groups. In 1920, after the establishment of Soviet power in the territory of present-day Armenia, the surviving Azerbaijanis were able to return to their native lands. The village of Sariyagub was inhabited by 343 Azerbaijanis in 1922, 377 in 1926, 471 in 1931, 568 in 1939, 594 in 1959, 834 in 1970, 1,049 in 1979 and 1,780 Azerbaijanis in 1987. In November-December 1988 the Azerbaijani population of the village was forcibly deported by Armenians. At present the village is inhabited by Armenians.

As the village was built by Miskin Abdal’s grandfather Sari Yagub, it was named after Sari Yagub.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 3 April 1991, the village was renamed “Jaghazadzor”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Gegharkunik province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude 40°08’ N., longitude 45°48’ E.