Sangar is a village in the Echmiadzin uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Abaran district, and currently in the Aragatsotn province. The village was integrated into the former Alagoz (Aragats) district in 1972. It is located at a distance of 3 km from the settlement of Alagoz (Aragats), at a height of 2,070 m above sea level.

 After the Russo-Turkish war of 1877–1878 the Yazidis from Türkiye were removed and settled in the village. Following this process, the Azerbaijani inhabitants gradually left the village.

The toponym was coined on the basis of the word “sangar” (sengir)” which means “a protruding rock” in Old Turkic. Currently, apart from the Yazidis, Armenians live in the village.

By decision of the Armenian parliament dated 4 July 2006, the village was renamed “Kaniashir”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative territory of Aragatsotn province.

Geographic coordinates: Longitude 40°39’ N., latitude 44°14’ E.