Safiabad was a village in the territory of the Echmiadzin uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Gurdugulu (Hoktemberyan) district, and present-day Armavir province. The name of the village was noted as “Sefiabad” and “Safiabad” in Armenian sources. It was located 14 km to the southeast of the district centre and near the Boyuk Garasu River. The village was marked on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

The beylerbey of the Chukhur Saad Safigulu Khan laid a canal from the Garasu River to the arid lands and founded a village there in the 1770s. The village was named “Safiabad”.

It was solely inhabited by Azerbaijanis: 49 in 1831, 190 in 1873, 145 in 1886, 223 in 1897, 203 in 1908, 234 in 1914, 218 in 1916 and 243 Azerbaijanis in 1918. The Azerbaijanis were attacked, massacred or expelled from the village by Armenian armed units in late 1919. The Armenians removed from Türkiye were settled in the village which was abolished in the 1930s.