Parpi is a village in the Echmiadzin uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Ashtarak district, and currently in the Aragatsotn province. The provincial centre lies 5 km to the northwest of the town of Ashtarak, at the south-eastern foot of Alagoz Mountain, at a height of 1,100 m above sea level. It was mentioned as “Parpi” in “The Iravan Province Comprehensive Data Book” compiled in 1590, and “Parbi” in “The Iravan Province Review Book “ compiled in 1728. Until 1826 the only residents of the village had been Azerbaijanis.

In 1828–1830 Armenians were moved from Türkiye and settled in the village. Along with the Armenians, the village was inhabited by 145 Azerbaijanis in 1831, 140 in 1886 and 199 Azerbaijanis in 1897. The Azerbaijanis were deported having been exposed to aggression by Armenian armed units in 1918. After the establishment of Soviet power in the territory of present-day Armenia, the surviving Azerbaijanis were able to return to their ancestral lands. The village was inhabited by 69 Azerbaijanis in 1922, 89 in 1926 and 93 Azerbaijanis in 1931. According to the Decision of the USSR Council of Ministers “On the resettlement of collective farmers and other Azerbaijani population from the Armenian SSR to the Kur-Araz lowland of the Azerbaijan SSR” dated 23 December 1947, the Azerbaijani population of the village was forcibly deported to Azerbaijan. At present, the village is inhabited by Armenians.

The toponym was coined by adding the suffix “-pi” to the word “par” used in the meaning of “a steppe”, “a mountain range”. The same suffix was added in the forms of “-p”, “-ap”, “-pe”, “-pi” to the end of the names of tribes and countries to denote “a people”, “a tribe”, “a country”.

According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Aragatsotn province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude 40°19’ N., longitude 44°18’ E.