Manguk was a village in the territory of the Iravan uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Vedi (Ararat) district, and present-day Ararat province. It was within the Garabaghlar district in 1937–1948. The village was also named “Manguk”. It was located on the upper reach of the Girkhbulag River. The village was noted as “Mankik” in “The Iravan Province Comprehensive Data Book” dated 1590, as “Mankuk” in “The Iravan Province Review Book” dated 1728 and marked as “Mangyuk” on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

The village was inhabited by 100 Azerbaijanis in 1873, 259 in 1886, 291 in 1897, 163 in 1904, 180 in 1914 and 379 Azerbaijanis in 1916. The Azerbaijanis were attacked, massacred or expelled from the village by Armenian armed units in 1918. After the establishment of Soviet power in present-day Armenia, Azerbaijanis managed to return to their own village. The village was inhabited by 86 Azerbaijanis in 1922, 94 in 1926 and 135 in 1931. The village was abolished after the Azerbaijani population of the village had forcibly been deported to Azerbaijan in accordance with the decision of the USSR Council of Ministers “On the resettlement of collective farmers and other Azerbaijani population from Armenian SSR to the Kur-Araz lowlands of the Azerbaijan SSR” dated 23 December 1947. At present, it lies in ruins.

The toponym was coined by adding the topoformant suffix “–z” to the word “mangu” meaning in Old Turkic “a solid monument, a tablet”.