Kichik Shollu Damirchi

Kichik Shollu Damirchi is a village in the Iravan uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Zangibasar (Masis) district, and currently in the Ararat province. Another name for the village was marked in official documents as “Shorlu Damirchi”. The provincial centre lies 23 km to the northwest of the town of Gamarli, adjacent to the Zangi River, at a height of 830 m above sea level. It was marked as “Damirchiliye-Shollu” in “The Iravan Province Review Book”, and as “Kichik Shorlu Damirchi” on the five-verst map of the Caucasus. Before the formation of the Zangibasar district, it had been within the former Gamarli (Artashat) district until 1969.

The village was solely inhabited by Azerbaijanis: 338 in 1831, 1,400 in 1873, 1,318 in 1886, 1,360 in 1897, 1,432 in 1904, 2,216 in 1914 and 2,263 Azerbaijanis in 1916. In 1919 the Azerbaijanis were deported from the village having been exposed to aggression by Armenian armed forces. Following the establishment of Soviet power in the present-day Armenia, the surviving villagers managed to return to their native lands. The village was inhabited by Azerbaijanis, 492 in 1922, 687 in 1926, 601 in 1931 and 626 Azerbaijanis in 1939. In accordance with the Decision of the USSR Council of Ministers “On the resettlement of collective farmers and other Azerbaijani population from the Armenian SSR to the Kur-Araz lowland of the Azerbaijan SSR” dated 23 December 1947, the Azerbaijani population of the village was forcibly deported to Azerbaijan. Some of the deportees were later able to return to their native lands. 654 Azerbaijanis lived in the village in 1959, 560 Azerbaijanis in 1970. In October- November 1988 the population of the village was deported from their historical-ethnic lands by the Armenian government. At present, the village is inhabited by Armenians.

The toponym entails three components, namely the word “kichik” (small) denoting a sign of distinctiveness, the ethnonyms “Shollu” and “Damirchi”. “Shollu” denotes the ethnonym “Chol” (şol) of Turkish origin, which adopted the suffix “-lu”, and “damirchi” denotes the ethnonym “Damirchi” of the Shahsevan Turkic tribe. It is an ethnotoponym.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 3 January 1935, the village was renamed to “Damirchi”, and by decision dated 3 April 1991, it was renamed “Darbink”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Ararat province.

Geographical coordinates: latitude: 40°06’ N., longitude: 44°22’ E.