Khanjalli was a village in the territory of the Aghbaba area (nahiya) of the Kars uezd of the former Kars province, later in the former Amasiya (Aghbaba) district, and present-day Shirak province. It was located 20 km to the northwest of the town of Amasiya and at a height of 2,110 m above sea level. The Armenian sources state that the village was inhabited by the Garapapags whom they also introduce as a separate nation. In fact, the Garapapags are not a separate nation, but one of the tribes of the Pechenegs, an ethnographic group of Azerbaijanis.
The village was inhabited by 178 Azerbaijanis in 1886, 253 in 1897, 303 in 1908 and 392 Azerbaijanis in 1914. The village was within the Provisional Government of the Southwestern Caucasus or Kars Republic founded in Kars in 1918–1919. The village was devastated and its inhabitants displaced as a result of attacks by Armenian armed formations in February 1920. The village was integrated within the Aghbaba area to Soviet Armenia by the Treaty of Kars in 1921, and a part of the population returned to the village. The village was inhabited by 95 Azerbaijanis in 1922, 137 in 1926 and 134 in 1931. The village was abolished in the 1940s and its inhabitants were removed to the village of Baligli. At present, the village is in ruins.
The toponym was coined on the basis of the name of the Khanjalli tribe.