Jarjarchi or Jarjaris is a village in the Alexandropol uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Abaran district, and currently in the Aragatsotn province. The village was integrated into the former Alagoz (Aragats) district in 1972. It lies at a distance of 12 km from the Alagoz (Aragats) settlement, and at a height of 2,180 m above sea level. Until 1972 it had been within the former Abaran district. It was mentioned as “Jarjeyis” in “The Iravan Province Comprehensive Data Book” compiled in 1590.

Following the 1877–1878 Russo-Turkish war, the Yazidi Kurds, who had been removed from Türkiye, were settled in the village. Further, the Azerbaijanis gradually left the village. At present, Armenians live in the village.

The toponym was coined by adding the topo-formant “-is” to the word “jarjar” used in the Nakhchivan dialect of the Azerbaijani language in the sense of “a ragged iron agricultural tool used in the stack-yard instead of a threshing board”. This threshing tool was mainly characteristic for the lowland and had been used prior to the threshing board in the process.

The village was renamed “Derek” by the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 19 April 1957. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative territory of Aragatsotn province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude: 40°42’ N., longitude: 44°19’ E.