Jafarli or Jafarli Gunnut was a village in the territory of the Iravan uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Vedi (Ararat) district, and present-day Ararat province. According to Armenian sources, other names for the village were “Gunnut”, “Gunnut Jafarli”, “Gunnut Kalavan”. It was located near the village of “Chanakhchi” (Sovetashen) and at the foot of Boz Hunnu Mountain. The name of the village was marked as “Gunnut Jafarli” on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

The village was inhabited by 178 Azerbaijanis in 1873, 209 in 1886, 333 in 1897, 406 in 1904, 409 in 1914 and 383 Azerbaijanis in 1916. The Azerbaijanis were attacked, massacred or expelled by Armenian armed units in 1919. After the establishment of Soviet power in present-day Armenia, the inhabitants who survived managed to return to their homes. The village was inhabited by 25 Azerbaijanis in 1926. In accordance with the decision of the USSR Council of Ministers “On the resettlement of collective farmers and other Azerbaijani population from the Armenian SSR to the Kur-Araz lowlands of the Azerbaijan SSR” dated 23 December 1947, the Azerbaijanis were forcibly deported to Azerbaijan and the village was abolished. At present, the village lies in ruins.

The toponym was coined on the basis of the ethnonym “Jafarli” belonging to the Turkic tribe.