Ilanli is a village in the Aghbaba area (nahiya) of the Kars uezd of the former Kars province, later in the former Amasiya (Aghbaba) district, and currently in the Shirak province. The provincial centre is located 33 km to the northeast of the town of Gumru, on the right bank of the Arpachay, at a height of 1,990 m above sea level. It was marked in “The Iravan Province Review Book”, and on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

The village was initially inhabited by Azerbaijanis. In their works Armenian authors mention the Garapapags as the inhabitants of the village. The Garapapags living in the district of Amasiya are a tribe related to the Azerbaijani Turks. The village was solely inhabited by Azerbaijanis – 137 in 1886, 206 in 1897, 240 in 1908 and 276 Azerbaijanis in 1914. In May 1918 the Armenian armed groups under the command of Andranik committed genocide in the village of Tezekend. Several people escaped the massacres. The village became a part of the Southwest Caucasian Republic established in Kars in 1918–1919. It was destroyed by Armenian armed forces in February 1920, a part of its inhabitants moved to the Kars province, and another part to the Urmia and Salmas provinces through the Iranian consulate in Gumru. By the Treaty of Kars in 1921, the village was integrated into Soviet Armenia as part of the Aghbaba area. Later, some inhabitants returned to the village. At present, the village is inhabited mainly by Armenians from the Georgian districts of Akhilkalak and Bogdanovka (Ninosminda). The village was inhabited by 146 Azerbaijanis in 1922, 160 in 1926, 201 in 1931, 261 in 1939, 283 in 1959, 507 in 1970, 547 in 1979 and 505 Azerbaijanis in 1987. In late 1988 and early 1989, the Azerbaijanis were deported from their historical and ethnic lands. At present, Armenians live there.

The toponym was coined on the basis of the ethnonym “Ilanli”.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 26 April 1946, the village was renamed “Chaybasar”, and then by decision of 3 April 1991, it was renamed “Aravet”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative territory of the Shirak province.

Geographical coordinates: latitude: 41°02’ N., longitude: 43°46’ E.