Gizilvang is a village in the Novo-Bayazid uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Basarkechar (Vardenis) district, and currently in the Gegharkunik province. The provincial centre lies 67 km to the southeast of the town of Kavar (Gavar), adjacent to the Alagoz River, at a height of 2200 m above sea level. It is marked in “The Iravan Province Review Book” and on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

The village was inhabited by 429 Azerbaijanis in 1873, 469 in 1886, 563 in 1897, 733 in 1908, 812 in 1914 and 807 Azerbaijanis in 1916. In 1828-1829 the Armenians from the Van, Mush and Kars provinces of Türkiye were settled in the village. In 1918 the villagers were attacked by Armenian armed forces and left the village. Following the establishment of Soviet power in the territory of present-day Armenia, the surviving Azerbaijanis managed to return to their village. Along with the Armenians, the village was inhabited by 168 Azerbaijanis in 1922, 241 Azerbaijanis in 1926, and 282 Azerbaijanis in 1931. In accordance with the decision of the USSR Council of Ministers “On the resettlement of collective farmers and other Azerbaijani population from the Armenian SSR in the Kur-Araz lowland of the Azerbaijan SSR” dated 23 December 1947, the Azerbaijani population of the village was forcibly deported to Azerbaijan.

The toponym was coined by combining the word “gizil” meaning “red” and the word “vang”, which is synonymous with the word “a church”. It is called “Gizilvang” (Gizilkilsa), as there was an Alban red church in the area.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 24 July 1940, the village was renamed “Chichakli”, and by decision dated 25 January 1978, it was renamed “Makenis”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Gegharkunik province.

Geographical coordinates: latitude: 40°07’ N., longitude: 45°36’ E.