Gazanfar is a village in the Echmiadzin uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Abaran district, and currently in the Aragatsotn province. The provincial centre lies 49 km to the north of the town of Ashtarak, at the foot of Alagoz Mountain, on the right tributary of the Abaran River, at a height of 1968 m above sea level. It was marked in “The Iravan Province Review Book” and on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.
The village was originally inhabited by Azerbaijanis, and following the settlement of Armenians in the area, the population moved to Türkiye. In 1828–1829 the Armenians displaced from the Alashkirt, Mush and Sasun provinces of Türkiye were settled in the village. The toponym was coined on the basis of the personal name.
By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 10 September 1948, the village was renamed “Aragats”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative territory of Aragatsotn province.
Geographical coordinates: latitude: 40°29’ N., longitude: 44°21’ E.