Garakilsa is a town in the Zangezur uezd of the former Yelizavetpol (Ganja) governorate, later in the former Garakilsa (Sisian) district, and currently in the Syunik province. Following the establishment of the Zangezur uezd in Soviet Armenia on 31 August 1921, the settlement was integrated into the administrative area of Armenia. It was the centre of the Garakilsa district in 1930–1935, and of the Sisakan district in 1935–1940, and of the Sisian district in 1940–1995. The area was marked in “The Iravan Province Comprehensive Data Book” compiled in 1590, on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

Along with the Armenians, the village was inhabited by 63 Azerbaijanis in 1831, 197 in 1873, 297 in 1886, 481 in 1897 and 866 Azerbaijanis in 1914. In 1918 the Azerbaijanis fell victim to the aggression of Armenian armed forces. Very few people survived. The village was inhabited by seven Azerbaijanis in 1926, and six Azerbaijanis in 1931. In the mid 1930s, the Azerbaijanis were completely deported. Currently, the town is inhabited only by Armenians.

The name of the settlement was coined from the name of a black church in that area belonging to the Albans.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 2 March 1940, the name was changed to “Sisian”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Syunik province.

Geographical coordinates: latitude: 39°31’ N., longitude: 46°01’ E.