Garakhach is a village in the Iravan uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Vedi (Ararat) district, and currently in the Ararat province. It lies 48 km to the southeast of the provincial centre, at the foot of Mount Dibakli, on the banks of the Chapan River, on the left tributary of the Vedi River, at a height of 2,000 m above sea level. It was marked in “The Iravan Province Review Book”, and on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

In 1831, only 94 Azerbaijanis lived in the village. After the Treaty of Turkmenchay in 1828, the Armenians relocated from Iran and Türkiye were settled in the village. After 1831, Armenians also lived in the village along with the Azerbaijanis. The village was inhabited by 324 Azerbaijanis and 276 Armenians in 1873, 498 Azerbaijanis and 288 Armenians in 1886, and 589 Azerbaijanis and 416 Armenians in 1897. “The Dictionary of Armenian Settlements” published in Armenian in 2008 provides the total number of people living in the Garakhach village without specifying the ethnic composition, which is a falsification of historical facts. In 1918 the Azerbaijanis were expelled from the village by Armenian armed units. Following the establishment of Soviet power in the territory of present-day Armenia, the surviving Azerbaijanis managed to return to the village. Along with the Armenians, the village was inhabited by 22 Azerbaijanis in 1922, 31 in 1926 and 13 Azerbaijanis in 1931. In accordance with the Decision of the USSR Council of Ministers “On the resettlement of collective farmers and other Azerbaijani population from the Armenian SSR to the Kur-Araz lowland of the Azerbaijan SSR” dated 23 December 1947, the Azerbaijani population of the village was forcibly deported to Azerbaijan in 1948–1949. By the special decision of the USSR Council of Ministers, the Azerbaijanis were expelled from their historical and ethnic lands and forcibly relocated in Azerbaijan. The village is currently inhabited only by Armenians.

The toponym was coined from the word “gara” used in Turkish to mean “big, tall, high” and the distorted form of the word “arkhaj”. The toponym means “great arkhaj”.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 25 January 1978, the village was renamed “Lusashogh”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Ararat province.

Geographical coordinates: latitude: 39°50’ N., longitude: 44°58’ E.