Garajoran is a village in the Echmiadzin uezd of the Iravan governorate, later in the former Ashtarak district, and currently in the Kotayk province. The provincial centre lies 30 km to the southwest of the town of Akhta (Hrazdan), nearby the Garni River, on the right bank of the stream flowing from the Zangi River, at a height of 1,630 m above sea level. It had been subordinated to Nairi district from 1972. The Armenian authors mark the name of the village as “Garajeyranli”, “Garajaviran”, “Garajaveran”, and “Garajeyran”. It was marked in “The Iravan Province Review Book” as “Garaja aran”, on the five-verst map of the Caucasus as “Garajaran”.

Until 1878 the village had been solely inhabited by Azerbaijanis. Being relocated from Beyazid, Kars, and Ighdir regions of Türkiye, the Armenians were first settled in the village in 1878, then in 1915–1921. The village was solely inhabited by Azerbaijanis: 162 in 1831 and 233 in 1873. Following the settlement of Armenians in the area in 1878, 275 Azerbaijanis and 424 Armenians lived in the village in 1886, and 307 Azerbaijanis and 563 Armenians in 1897. Sources indicate that Azerbaijanis and Armenians lived together in the village in 1908, 1914 and 1916. The Azerbaijanis were deported in February 1918 following the aggression by Armenian armed forces. Following the establishment of Soviet power in the territory of present-day Armenia, the Azerbaijanis managed to return to their native lands in 1922–1925. The village was inhabited by 14 Azerbaijanis in 1926–1931. In accordance with the decision of the USSR Council of Ministers “On the resettlement of collective farmers and other Azerbaijani population from the Armenian SSR to the Kur-Araz lowland of the Azerbaijan SSR” dated 23 December 1947, the Azerbaijani population of the village was forcibly relocated to Azerbaijan in 1948–1949. Currently, the village is inhabited by Armenians only.

The toponym was formed by adding the plural suffix “-an” to the Khazars’ Turkic ethnonym “Garachor”, which implies “the place where the Garachor (Garajor) tribe lived”.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 4 May 1946, the name of the village was changed to “Aragyugh”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Kotayk province.

Geographical coordinates: latitude: 40°24’ N., longitude: 44°32’ E.