Gajaran, Gejalan or Gejanan is a town in the Zangezur uezd of the Yelizavetpol (Ganja) province, later in the former Gafan district, and currently in the Syunik province. The provincial centre lies 26 km to the southwest of the Gapan town, on the banks of the Okhchu River, at a height of 1,850 m above sea level. Copper-molybdenum has been mined there since the 18th century. Following the establishment of the Zangezur district in Soviet Armenia on 31 August 1921, the settlement was integrated into the administrative area of Armenia. It was marked as “Kajaran” on the five-verst map of the Caucasus, and as “Gajarans” in the works of Armenian authors.

The Armenians relocated from Iran, Syria and Cyprus were settled in the village in 1946. Along with the Armenians, it was inhabited by five Azerbaijanis in 1931.

The toponym was coined by adding the suffix “-an” (synonymous with the plural suffix
“-lar”) in the Azerbaijani language) to the ethnonym “Gajar” of the Turkic tribe. One of the Gizilbash tribes was called “Gajar”.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 4 July 1951, the village was renamed “Kajaran”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Syunik province.

Geographical coordinates: latitude: 39°09’ N., longitude: 46°09’ E.