Ellarkend or Ellaroyughu is a village in the Aghbaba area (nahiya) of the Kars uezd of the former Kars province, later in the former Amasiya (Aghbaba) district, and currently in the Shirak province. The provincial centre lies 43 km to the northwest of the town of Gumru, at the point where the borders of the states of Türkiye, Armenia and Georgia intersect, at a height of 2,170 m above sea level. The name of the village was indicated as “Elyaroyughu” on the five-verst map of the Caucasus, as “Ellaroghlu, Ellar, Ellaroyughu, Yellaryugh, Ellaryugh” in the works of Armenian authors. Later on, the name of the village was officialized as “Ellarkend” in documents.

The village was inhabited by the Garapapags, one of the ethnographic groups of Azerbaijanis. In their works Armenian authors point out the Garapapag tribe residing in the village as a special people. The village was solely inhabited by Azerbaijanis – 232 in 1886, 361 in 1897, 363 in 1908 and 437 Azerbaijanis in 1914. In 1918–1920 the Azerbaijanis were massacred or deported having been exposed to aggression by Armenian armed units. The surviving Azerbaijanis who had left the village managed to return to their ancestral land following the establishment of Soviet power in the present- day Armenian territory. The Azerbaijanis surviving the massacre committed by the Armenians in the town of Gumru also settled in the village. The village was solely inhabited by Azerbaijanis – 222 in 1922, 284 in 1926, 294 in 1931, 165 in 1959, 305 in 1970, 328 Azerbaijanis in 1987. In November–December 1988, and in January 1989 the original inhabitants of the village, the Azerbaijanis, were deported from their historical-ethnic territories by the state of Armenia. At present, the Armenians who came from the Georgian district of Akhilkalak live in the village.

The toponym was coined by combining the word “el” used in Turkish in the sense of “a tribal union, tribal organization”, “people, tribe” with the plural suffix “-lar” and the word “oghlu” used in the 3rd person singular.

The village was renamed “Lorasar” by the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 8 August 1991. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative territory of the Shirak province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude: 41°05’ N., longitude: 43°33’ E.