Dastagird or Dastakert is a village in the Zangezur uezd of the former Yelizavetpol (Ganja) governorate, later in the former Garakilsa (Sisian) district, and currently in the Syunik province. The provincial centre lies 122 km to the northwest of the town of Gafan, at the feet of the mountains of Bargushad, at a height of 1,900 m above sea level. The settlement was integrated into the administrative area of Armenia following the establishment of the Zangezur uezd in Soviet Armenia on 31 August 1921. It was mentioned in “The Iravan Province Comprehensive Data Book” dated 1590. The name of the village was Armenianized and became “Dastakert”. (419, p.79; 416, p.65). Armenians committed massacre in the village in 1905–1906.

The village was inhabited by 555 Azerbaijanis in 1908 and 400 Azerbaijanis in 1914 . In 1918 Armenian armed units massacred or ousted the Azerbaijanis. Following the establishment of Soviet power in the present-day Armenian territory, the inhabitants of the village managed to return to their homes. The village was inhabited only by Azerbaijanis-358 in 1922, 338 in 1926 and 434 Azerbaijanis in 1931. In the 1950s Armenians were removed there in connection with the construction of copper- molybdenum enterprises in the area. In 1987 there were 1,700 people out of which 80% were Azerbaijanis. In November 1988 Azerbaijanis were deported from their historical-ethnic land by the state of Armenia. At present, only Armenians live in the village.

The toponym was coined from the ethnonym of “Dastagird” belonging to the Bargushad Turkic tribe.

According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Syunik province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude: 39°22’ N., longitude: 46°02′ E.