Danagirmaz is a village in the Iravan uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Abaran district, and currently in the Aragatsotn province. The provincial centre lies 39 km to the northwest of the town of Ashtarak, at the foot of Alagoz Mountain, and at a height of 2,025 m above sea level. Other names for the village were Damagirmaz, Danadamagirmaz. It was marked on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.
Armenians were removed from the Turkish provinces of Erzurum and Mush, as well as from Iran and settled in the village. Along with the Armenians, the village was inhabited by 387 Azerbaijanis in 1905, 474 Azerbaijanis in 1914. The Azerbaijanis residing in the village were massacred or deported through the Armenian aggression of 1918. At present, Armenians live in the village. The toponym was coined by combining the name denoting a calf and the verb “girmaz” used in the indefinite future tense form.
The village was renamed “Hovit” by the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 15 July 1946, further changed again and became “Nigavan” by the decree dated 21 October 1967. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of Aragatsotn province.
Geographic coordinates: latitude: 40°37’ N., longitude: 44°17’ E.