Damirchilar is a village in the Borchali uezd of the former Tiflis governorate, in the former Vorontsovka (Kalinino) district, and currently in the Lori province. The provincial centre lies 4 km to the northeast of the town of Boyuk Garakilsa (Vanadzor), and at a height of 1,500 m above sea level. The village had been within the former district of Jalaloghlu (Stepanyan) until 1937. In their works the Armenian authors referred to the village as “Demirchilar”.

The village was inhabited by 89 Azerbaijanis in 1897, 420 in 1908 and 105 Azerbaijanis in 1914. In 1916–1918 the inhabitants of the village were deported having been exposed to the aggression of Armenian armed units. The survivors managed to return to their village following the establishment of Soviet power in the present-day Armenian territory. The village was inhabited by 89 Azerbaijanis in 1922, 128 in 1926, 144 in 1931, 181 in 1939, 159 in 1959, 203 in 1970 and 200 Azerbaijanis in 1979. The village was merged with the stock-raising state farm “Evli” in the late 1950. In 1988 the Azerbaijanis there were deported. At present, only Armenians live there.

The toponym was coined on the basis of the ethnonym “Damirchilar” constituting a branch of the Turkic Shahsevan tribe. The book “Azerbaijan’s Geographical Names” states that the tribe “Damirchi” belongs to the Shahsevan clan.

The village was renamed “Gogavan” by the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 3 April 1991. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Lori province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude: 41° N., longitude: 44° E.