Charbagh was a village in the territory of the Iravan uezd of the former Iravan governorate. Until the late 1930s, the village was integrated into the territory of the former Gamarli (Artashat) district. The name of the village was noted as “Khurramabad” in “The Iravan Province Review Book” and marked as “Charbakh” on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

The village was solely inhabited by Azerbaijanis: 31 in 1831, 201 in 1873, 241 in 1886, 242 in 1897, 347 in 1904 and 386 Azerbaijanis in 1914. The Azerbaijanis were attacked, massacred or expelled from the village by Armenian armed units in 1918. The Armenians removed from Türkiye were resettled in the village in 1918–1919. Only after the establishment of Soviet power in present-day Armenia, the Azerbaijanis who survived could return to the village. Along with the Armenians, there lived 177 Azerbaijanis in 1922, 201 in 1926 and 264 Azerbaijanis in 1931. Due to the expansion of the city of Iravan, the village was abolished in 1950 and the Azerbaijanis were expelled. At present, it is integrated into the administrative territory of the city of Iravan.

The toponym was coined by combining the word “char” meaning “a gorge or ravine; a high land on the shore or bank”, “a canal constructed through a march” and the word “bagh”.