Bilak was a vilage in the Sharur-Daralayaz [Şərur-Dərələyəz] uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Pashali (Azizbeyov, Vayk) district, and currently in the Vayots Dzor province. The village was located 3-4 km to the northeast of the water reservoir, on the bank of a river, and in a flat valley. The name of the village was noted as “Birak” in “The Iravan Province Review Book”.

The village was solely inhabited by Azerbaijanis: 244 in 1873, 334 in 1886, 357 in 1897, 536 in 1904, 590 in 1914 and 459 Azerbaijanis in 1916. The Azerbaijanis were attacked, massacred or expelled from the village by Armenian armed units in 1918. The village was abolished in 1920. At present, it lies in ruins.

The toponym was coined on the basis of the word “bilak” meaning “a tributary of a river” in ancient Turkic.