Bazarjig is a village in the Echmiadzin uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Abaran district, and currently in the Aragatsotn province. The provincial centre lies 13.5 km to the north of the town of Ashtarak, on the left side of the Iravan–Abaran highway, on the right bank of the Abaran River and at a height of 1,850 m above sea level. It was marked in “The Iravan Province Review Book”, and on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.
The village was initially populated by Azerbaijanis, who gradually left it after Armenians had been settled in the region. Armenians were removed to the village from Mush, Alashkirt and Bitlis in 1829–1830.
The toponym was created by adding the diminitive suffix “-cıq” to the Turkic ethnonym “Bazar” (Basar).
The village was renamed “Arayi” by the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 15 June 1946. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative territory of Aragatsotn province.
Geographic coordinates: latitude: 40°27′ N., longitude: 44°22′ E.