Baryabad is a village in the Gazakh uezd of the former Yelizavetpol (Ganja) governorate, later in the former Chambarak (Krasnoselsk) district, and currently in the Gegharkunik province. It lies to the north of the Karvansara–Chambarak (Ijevan–Krasnoselsk) border, 2 km to the north of the Amir-kheyir (Kalavan) village, and at a height of 1,400 m above sea level. The Armenian authors mention the village as “Bayirabad”, “Bayrabad”, “Bayravat”, “Bariyabad”. The area of the village had been under the subordination of the Golkend village until 1897.

The village was inhabited by 111 Azerbaijanis in 1897 and 96 Azerbaijanis in 1919. In spring 1919 the Azerbaijanis were driven out by Armenian armed units. The inhabitants of the Village found refuge in the villages of the Gazakh uezd of Azerbaijan. The surviving inhabitants of the village managed to return to their homes following the establishment of Soviet power in the present-day Armenian territory. The village was solely inhabited by Azerbaijanis – 85 in 1922, 91 in 1926, 109 in 1931, 102 in 1939, 205 in 1959 and 380 Azerbaijanis in 1986. On 24-28 November 1988 the inhabitants of the village were driven out of their historical-ethnic land by the state of Armenia. Presently, only Armenians live there.

The toponym was coined by combining the word “bair/bayır” used in the sense of “a hill, highland, barrow” in Turkic and the word “abad”. The word “Bayır/bair” is used in Old Turkic in the meaning of “an outer side, wilderness”.

The village was renamed “Barepat” by the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 3 April 1991. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Gegharkunik province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude: 40°40’ N., longitude: 45°07′ E.