Aynazur is a village in the Sharur-Daralayaz uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Keshishkend (Yeghegnadzor) district, and currently in the Vayots Dzor province. The provincial centre lies 14 km to the northwest of the town of Keshishkend, and at a height of 1,610 m above sea level.

The village had been inhabited only by Azerbaijanis until 1828. The Armenians were removed to the Aynazur village from the provinces of Khoy and Salmas of Iran in 1828–1829. Along with the Armenians, the village was inhabited by 75 Azerbaijanis in 1897, four Azerbaijanis in 1926. After 1926 the Azerbaijanis were ousted from the village. At present, Armenians live there.

The toponym was coined by combining the word “ayna” used in the sense of “jinn, satan” in Turkic and the word “zur” formed on the basis of the word “car” used in Turkic in the sense of “a canyon”. There is a supposition that the valley was awesome, scary, hence its name.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 10 September 1946, it was renamed “Akhavnadzor”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Vayots Dzor province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude: 39°47’ N., longitude: 45°13’ E.