Ashaghi Aghjagala

Ashaghi Aghjagala is a village in the Echmiadzin uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Talin district, in the former Aragatsotn province. The provincial centre lies 37 km to the northwest of the town of Ashtarak, in the southwest side of Alagoz Mountain, and at a height of 1,600 m above sea level. Another name for the village was Hajigala. It was marked on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

The village was solely inhabited by Azerbaijanis: 53 in 1831, 398 in 1873, 502 in 1886, 617 in 1897, 315 in 1904, 334 in 1914 and 733 Azerbaijanis in 1916. In 1918 the village was exposed to Armenian aggression, and the indigeneous people, the Azerbaijanis, were massacred or deported from their historical-ethnic land, and the Armenians from the Arzvik, Grmav, Gdzak, Kashkshenk villages of the Sasun province and the Mush province of Türkiye were settled in the village in 1915–1918. As it is clear, until 1918 the village had been solely inhabited by Azerbaijanis. The Armenian authors state that not Azerbaijanis, but Armenians lived in the village in 1831 and 1897 in their works by falsifying the historical facts.

The toponym was coined by combining the word “ashaghi” denoting a distinguishing feature in the Azerbaijani toponymy and the word “gala” preceded by the word “aghja” which was used in the meaning of “a whitish, dry, greyish field, lowland” to denote “a village by the tower built on the whitish, greyish ground”.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 12 September 1946, the village was renamed “Nerkin Bazmaberd”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Aragatsotn province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude: 40°20’ N., longitude: 44°03’ E.