Alapars is a village in the Novo-Bayazid uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Akhta (Hrazdan) district, and currently in the Kotayk province. The provincial centre lies 17 km to the southwest of the town of Ellar (Kotayk), on the bank of the Zangi (Hrazdan) River (Hrazdan), at a height of 1,500 m above sea level. It was marked in “The Iravan Province Review Book”, on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.
In the 18th century the village was under the subordination of the Derechichak area of the Iravan khanate. After the abolishment of the khanate it was integrated into the administrative- territorial division of the Novo-Bayazid uezd of the former Iravan governorate created in the early 19th century. It was within the former Akhta (Hrazdan) district in 1930-1964, which was brought to the subjection of the former Sevan district in 1964. A year later it was returned to the district of Akhta (Hrazdan).
The original inhabitants of the village were Azerbaijanis. The Armenians were settled there in 1829–1830 having been removed from the Iranian provinces of Khoy, Maku, Salmas and the Turkish provinces of Van and Alashkirt. Eighty three Armenians were removed from Iran to this village in 1829. The village was inhabited by 182 Azerbaijanis in 1831. In 1840–1850 the Azerbaijanis were ousted from their historical-ethnic land, and the village turned completely into an Armenian settlement. At present, only Armenians live in the village.
The toponym was formed on the basis of the word “ala” denoting a colour and the Turkic ethnonym “bars”.
According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Kotayk province.
Geographic coordinates: latitude: 40°25’ N., longitude: 44°38’ E.