Aghjagishlag is a village in the Iravan uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Gamarli (Artashat) district, and currently in the Ararat province. The provincial centre lies 12 km to the north of the town of Gamarli, on the bank of the Zangi River, and at a height of 930 m above sea level. It was marked in “The Iravan Province Review Book”, on the five-verst map of the Caucasus. “The Iravan Province Review Book” states that the village was inhabited by the Turkic tribe with the name Gamarli. The Armenian literature states that the village was founded in 1831. The Armenian researchers have falsified history because “The Iravan Province Review Book” compiled in 1728 indicates that the Aghjagishlag village is located in the vicinity of the Yuva village, and the population of the village originated from the Gamarli people. Their annual income comprised 3,000 akchas.

The village was inhabited by 70 Azerbaijanis in 1831, 184 in 1873, 138 in 1886, 200 in 1897, 186 in 1904, 220 in 1914 and 197 Azerbaijanis in 1916. In 1918 the Azerbaijanis were deported having been exposed to the Armenian massacre and the village was settled by the Armenians removed from abroad. After Soviet power was established in the present- day Armenian territory, the Azerbaijani survivors managed to return to their homes. Along with the Armenians, the village was inhabited by 54 Azerbaiijanis in 1922, 96 in 1926 and 102 Azerbaijanis in 1931. According to the decision of the USSR Council of Ministers “On the resettlement of collective farmers and other Azerbaijani population from the Armenian SSR to the Kur-Araz lowland of the Azerbaijan SSR” dated 23 December 1947, the Azerbaijanis of the village were removed to Azerbaijan in 1948–1949. At present, only Armenians live there.

The toponym was coined from the combination of the word “aghja” meaning “a whitish, greyish plain, field” and the word “gishlaq” (winter pasture). By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 21 June 1948, the village was renamed “Getashen” and by decision dated 28 May 1967 was again renamed “Getazat”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the Ararat province.

Geographic coordinates: latitude: 40°02′ N., longitude: 44°33′ E.