Aghgirag is a village in the Novo-Bayazid uezd of the former Iravan governorate, later in the former Garanlig (Martuni) district. It is situated 55.5 km to the southeast of the town of Martuni, on the shore of Lake Goycha, at a height of 2,030 m above sea level. Although the ancient name of the village was Aghgirag, it was later stabilized as the village of Aligirig, Aligraghi, Aligra in the works of Armenian authors. The village was also called Aligrikh in the mid 20th century. It was marked as Alikrikh on the five-verst map of the Caucasus.

In 1897 along with the Armenians, there were 3 Azerbaijanis who were later deported from the village. Only Azerbaijanis had lived there until 1828. Following the Treaty of Turkmenchay, in 1829–1830 Armenians were removed from the Alashkirt and Van areas of Türkiye to the Aghgirag village, whereas the Azerbaijanis were deported. There are 8th-9th-century historical monuments associated with Turks in the territory of the village.

The toponym was coined on the basis of the word “agh” used in Old Turkic in the sense of “small”, “not very large in terms of territory” and the word “girag” used in the sense of “coast”.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Armenian SSR dated 3 November 1935, the village was renamed “Astghadzor”. According to the law “On the administrative-territorial division of the Republic of Armenia” dated 7 November 1995, it was integrated into the administrative area of the province of Gegharkunik.

Geographic coordinates: latitude: 40°07’ N., longitude: 45°21’ E.